Forty young designers, five days of pure inspiration, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That’s the Emerging Creatives programme at Design Indaba Expo. Each year we invite aspiring local designers to apply for a place in this sought-after programme, which launched the careers of rising stars such as Daniel Ting Chong, Andile Dyalvane and Laduma Ngxokolo.
Applications are open to students in a creative faculty at a tertiary institution in South Africa and young designers in the process of establishing a design service or business. You must be South African or have residency status to qualify.
As an Emerging Creative, you’ll get a spot on the Expo floor alongside some of the biggest names in South African design. You’ll meet local and international buyers, market your products and services to the public, learn from your more established peers and network with one another.
You might be an architect, fashion designer, illustrator, furniture designer or jeweller – you will be selected based on the quality and originality of your work and its ability to stand alongside world-class designs.
Design Indaba established the Emerging Creatives programme because we believe in nurturing new creative talent and knocking down the barriers to entry for those just getting started. It’s become one of the most popular sections at the Expo and 2014’s group proved this with record sales and orders.
Applications for 2015 Emerging Creatives are now open. Click here to enter.
Click here to view our previous budding talents in our Emerging Creatives directory.
Click here to read about what some of our Emerging Creatives have been up to since launching their careers at Design Indaba Expo.
Emerging Creatives FAQs
Criteria for Entry:
- Applications are open to current students
- Applications are open to recent graduates (must have graduated from a tertiary institute within the last two years)
- Applications are open to those with no tertiary background
- Emerging Creatives is primarily a student programme, therefore preference will be given to applicants between the ages of 17 – 30 years old. If however, you have changed career paths and are a mature student just entering the industry, you are still welcome to apply. If not, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire about First Editions – our entry-level exposure platform for new designers to exhibit at Design Indaba Expo
- If already working within the design industry, applicants must not have had an established business for more than 6 to 9 months
- Applications are accepted from South African citizens
- Applications are accepted from people currently residing in South Africa
- Products must be created and manufactured in South Africa
- A total of 40 participants will be selected from all entries received
If I am accepted, what is included?
If your application is successful and you are chosen to be a Design Indaba 2015 Emerging Creative, you may* receive the following:
- Return flights to Cape Town
- Accommodation for the duration of Design Indaba Expo 2015
- Exhibition stand within Emerging Creatives sector on the expo floor
- Web Profile on designindaba.com and Buyers Guide profile
- Business Cards
- Daily stipend
- Attendance at afternoon Design Workshop
*Certain offerings of this programme offering are still to be confirmed and will be dependent on sponsor endorsement.