The Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives Programme opens up the annual Design Indaba Emerging Creatives Programme (previously exclusive to South African applicants) to students and young creatives from all around the world.
International applicants now have the opportunity to showcase their work to an audience comprising of Design Indaba speakers, conference and simulcast delegates, invited local and international media guests and members of the public at the annual Design Indaba Festival. In addition to this valuable exposure and learning opportunity at the event, the participants in the Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives Programme will be promoted to a global audience via feature articles on www.designindaba.com and posts across Design Indaba’s social media channels.
Criteria for participation:
- Applications are open to current or recent graduate students who have graduated from a tertiary institute within the last two years.
- Design Indaba Emerging Creatives Programme is primarily aimed at students and recent graduates, therefore preference will be given to applicants between the ages of 18 – 30 years old.
- If already working within the design industry, applicants must not have had an established business for more than 12 months at the time of applying.
- Applications from any design sector may apply.
- Work must be available to be exhibited at Design Indaba Festival 2019.
- Work should not be in mass production.
- While the South African leg of the Design Indaba Emerging Creatives Programme is supported by the local Department of Arts and Culture, the Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives Programme is not. Global participants will need to be able to self-fund their transport, accommodation, stand space and exhibition stand.
How to apply:
There is no cost to submit an application and all valid applications will be considered.
Candidates should submit their work via the online application form by no later than 30 October 2018.
Submissions should include:
- Completed application form
- Portfolio of work including 3-5 hi res images
- 200-word Bio in Word.doc format
The Selection Process:
All applications will go through a curation process and a maximum of 15 international applicants will be selected. The successful candidates will be notified by 15 November 2018.
The Cost to Exhibit:
The cost to participate applies only to candidates who are selected via the curatorial process. There is a fee of ZAR3 000.00 per square meter for the 3sqm stand space, totaling ZAR9 000.00 per candidate. Payment must be made by EFT (electronic financial transfer) to Design Indaba by no later than 30 November 2019. Successful candidates will be invoiced individually.
Successful candidates will receive:
- An allocated 3 x square meters of space to showcase their work.
- General signage branding will remain uniform across the programme and will be designed and supplied by Design Indaba, but individual stands are responsible for their own communication design and branding within their stand space.
- A listed profile on www.designindaba.com.
- Be included in all marketing associated with the Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives Programme.
- Be included in mentoring workshops for the Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives hosted at Design Indaba Festival.
- Invitations to attend all formal and social events open to the Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives.
Candidates will be responsible for:
- All participants need to be available in Cape Town from 25 February – 2 March 2019.
- All work for exhibition must be available in Cape Town from 25 February – 2 March 2019.
- The cost and logistics of transporting exhibition work/items to Cape Town, South Africa.
- Storage of items, should they arrive in Cape Town before the set-up day on 25 February 2019.
- Unfortunately, Design Indaba and Artscape Theatre Centre do not have any storage facilities available before, during or after the event.
- All flights, accommodation and transport to-and-from the venue are for the candidate’s own cost.
- Stand design, build-up and staffing are for the candidate’s own cost.
- Additional fixtures and fittings for the exhibition are for the candidate’s own account. Design Indaba is happy to recommend its preferred suppliers. However, candidates are free to use their own suppliers.
- Personal funding and sponsorship is encouraged but must please be disclosed. Sponsorship for the Design Indaba Global Emerging Creatives Programme must not compete with any of Design Indaba’s official sponsors.
- Payment of participation to be made by no later than 30 November 2018.