Part of the Project
Design Indaba has invited Li Edelkoort to curate an exhibition of South African design, which will be a feature stand located at the centre of the Expo, held from 1 to 3 March 2013 at the Cape Town International Convention Centre.
Conceptualised by Edelkoort and sponsored by Woolworths, the exhibition is titled Totemism: Memphis Meets Africa and calls for submissions from all South African designers across all disciplines.
In a nutshell, Edelkoort’s concept is based on the trend of stacking and layering colours, patterns and materials to achieve a totemic quality reminiscent of the bold 1980s. Click here to view Edelkoort's concept presentation for Totemism*.
This is an exceptional opportunity to be part of a ground-breaking new exhibition within the Design Indaba Expo, which seeks to energise the local design community, raise its profile among international audiences and attract media coverage. If future sponsorship enables it, the exhibition will be restaged at an international location. We will also explore future possibilities for retail spin-offs.
What you need to do:
1. View the attached PDF outlining Edelkoort’s vision and visual references*, including colour swatches.
2. Go to https://www.wetransfer.com/ and upload images of new designs you think fulfill the brief. Use the address firstname.lastname@example.org to submit your designs to Design Indaba Expo. They could be existing designs but we encourage you to rethink them according to the directions that Edelkoort has outlined.
3. We may ask you to make a piece in a different colour or material. Our end objective is to curate a compelling exhibition that will tap into current trends and have strong consumer appeal.
4. You can send us photos, 3D renderings or, where appropriate, sketches.
5. You are free to send up to 20 images.
6. You MUST send us images by Tuesday 15 January 2013 at the very latest. We know this is tight, but we are determined to make this happen in time for the next Expo.
7. We will contact you in mid to late January to let you know if your designs have been selected, and to inform you about delivery details.
* This PDF and the images contained therein are intended for inspiration only and may not be published on any public platform. It may only be emailed to designers interested in submitting work. A shorter presentation is available for media use and publication.