1. Who is Andy Cartwright?
Andy Cartwright is an aspiring entrepreneur with a vision, if not to change the world then simply enhance it through beautiful design, whilst looking after our planet.
2. Where do you live and why?
Durban… because we wanted to make it really difficult for ourselves to blossom as a design brand with so few competitors around.
3. What is the opposite of design?
A homesick mole who has never realised that the entire world is created by design.
4. What do you want to achieve in life?
I have the desire to succeed as a global design brand and to ultimately teach what I have learnt to budding designers and entrepreneurs. I’d also like to leave a legacy to my family.
5. What's your secret obsession?
6. What music do you listen to?
Mostly classics like Billy Joel, Elton John, Queen and then there’s Garth Brooks – oh yes!
7. What are you doing on Monday at 9am?
Drinking strong coffee and planning the week ahead.
8. What do you do on Sundays?
Work early morning, take kiddies out somewhere for a walk, work, watch Dora the Explorer, work again.... sometimes we swap things around to make it really interesting.
9. If you were told that you had to live inside a work of art, which would you choose?
An iPad, or is that cheating? Then it would have to be The Starry Night by Vincent van Gogh.
10. Do you want children?
Are they for sale? No thanks, I have two!
11. Who has been the person most influential on design that you can think of?
Steve Jobs/Johnny Ives.
12. What's the best creative advice you've ever received?
"What is this rubbish? It’s terrible, you’re a failure!!" – my lecturer at advertising college.
13. Summer or winter?
14. What is the best piece of design you've seen recently?
Andy Cartwright homewares Korol system. That and how water bottles can create lighting.
15. What is something you know you do differently to most people?
Jogging, I run backwards.
16. Who in the world, dead or alive, would you most like to have lunch with?
Walt Disney – his vision was not at all a Mickey Mouse one.
17. Are there certain characteristics that all creatives possess?
Perhaps slightly temperamental and protective.
18. In your opinion, what makes a piece of design good?
Though provoking, uncomplicated, innovative, functional and aesthetic.
19. Are you an artist or designer? (Or both/neither?)
Definitely not an artist (cringe), with all respect. I like to think of our work as more scientific - I told you we were temperamental.
20. Who does Andy Cartwright want to become?
A global ambassador to my own design brand.
Visit Design Indaba's Online Shop to browse a selection of Andy Cartwright Homeware's products.