Typography is his thing, but Oded Ezer also has interesting opinions on recycling, design’s ability to save the world and the definition of creative success.
1. What items would you put into a time capsule? This is a cruel question! The list is so long, it will take a lifetime for me to decide what goes in and what stays out.
2. If you were told that you had to live inside a work of art, which would you choose? Gustave Courbet's L’Origine du Monde, of course.
3. What would you like to have written in your obituary? "He was the first type shaman, the first biotypographer, the first typochemist, the first typosexual, the first ever typographer on Mars. We will all miss him."
4. How do you define creative success? When you smile unconsciously while you work.
5. What makes you laugh out loud? Letters.
6. Are there certain characteristics that all creatives possess? They are all slightly mad.
8. What is the question you ask yourself the most? Where have I put my keys, for god's sake?
9. What is something that you have learnt in the past five years? To not be afraid of my own power.
10. In your subjective view, what makes a piece of design good? Good design is exactly in the middle between need and fantasy.
11. What one thing that you have not done would you really like to do? Only one thing? I have hundreds of things I would really really like to do!
12. What are you the most grateful for? For being creative; for having my family; for the sun.
13. What's your happiest childhood memory? I had an awful childhood. My best memory from my childhood was when I'd discovered that I'd turned 32.
14. What do you do on Sundays? Work. In Israel, Sunday is a working day (but we don't work on Fridays).
15. Who in the world, dead or alive, would you most like to have a drink with? Sigmund Freud.
16. Do you have a creative/business muse? The universe.
17. What's the best design advice you've ever received? Do whatever you like.
18. What has been your favourite project to date? Always the last one is my favourite, unless I've screwed it up.
19. Do you recycle? Sometimes I recycle ideas. It's good for the environment.
20. Can design save the world? Absolutely.