The Design Indaba Expo Innovation Award returns in 2013 to inspire you to innovate, originate and collaborate!
Innovation is more than just a fancy word for productivity and customer value. We’re not talking about better, faster, cheaper. We want to see the designs you’ve laboured over, poured your heart into, taken a risk on – something that only you could have created.
Innovation is survival. It takes imagination and experimentation. We plan to reward that process with a prize of R50 000 for one exhibitor with exemplary powers of reinvention.
Durban designer Andy Cartwright won our inaugural Innovation Award at Design Indaba Expo 2012 for “Korol”, his system of modular, flatpacked homeware. The judges loved how sustainable, smart and accessible his design was.
Buoyed by the good news of his Innovation Award win, Andy went on to land a large order from distribution company Kontiki to stock 100 shops in France.
What will win the 2013 Innovation Award? It could be anything, in any sector, as long as it was launched after Design Indaba Expo 2012.
The winning product must:
- present a significantly new direction for the designer, eg not the same product in new materials/colours
- contribute a fresh perspective to SA design, eg a new way of using materials, notable intervention in a sector
- have launched in the past year (after Design Indaba Expo 2012)
- demonstrate exceptional skill and workmanship
- be original
- be on display at the Expo
- be manufacturable
This is your moment. Claim it with the latest and best of what you’ve got.
Applications open in January 2013 – keep your eyes peeled for our email calling for submissions.
For more information about the Innovation Award please contact Kelly Berman on 021 465 9966 or email@example.com